With eight decades of existence, “O Escondidinho” restaurant, located in Porto at Passos Manuel street, is still the favourite restaurant for the elites because of its unparalleled service, its refined space as well as for the magnificent delicacies we can taste.
Recommended by the leading and most important food guides in the world, “O Escondidinho” is a luxurious restaurant, which can be differentiated by its familiar atmosphere, created in accordance with northern old style manor houses.
Opened to the public since the December 12, 1931, by initiative of António Joaquim da Silva, a reputable businessman of the hotel industry field, and designed by the architect Amoroso Lopes, its structure remains unchanged. From the furniture to the old cukoo clock, from the lofty Portuguese faience to the beautiful tiles, its style is a perfect imitation of the Delfi School.
“O Escondidinho” is a little museum of tiles and faience, where works of the Italian artist and Master of the Constância Ceramics Factory, Leopoldo Battistini, are predominant.
Everything was kept in the same places, providing to its visitors comfort, peace and the needed intimacy to enjoy a great meal, in an environment that leads us to the warmth of our grandparents.
This return to the charm and luxury of the past would be incomplete if the menu was not consistent with the surrounding environment, which also brings us back to the time where tasting a fine meal and a good wine was made very calmly. This was not neglected by the owner either. Indeed, Amarílio Barbosa brings to the present flavours that delighted some royalty, like the then exiled Juan Carlos from Spain or Humberto from Italy. Portuguese politicians, such as Sá Carneiro and Mario Soares, as well as other illustrious people such as José Hermano Saraiva, Manoel de Oliveria and many more, have been a constant presence in this exceptional place throughout the years.